Digital Detox Retreat
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Medium Group
We all have been overly addicted to our digital life for the past few years. The work has been so challenging that we can’t afford to be away from the virtual world even for a minute. Do we ever leave our phone at home; go outside and appreciate that how blue is the sky today? Even when we go out with our closest friends, we continuously tend to keep an eye on our mobile phones. Don’t you sometimes feel that indescribable uneasiness with this obsession?
Let’s take a short break from this virtual world and soak ourselves in the magnificence of natural world. Loosen up yourself in a peaceful Himalayan village where you would love to break up with your digital life. Let’s spend some meaningful time in the real world, appreciate the richness of nature, understand a new culture, eat scrumptious organic meals, and get involved in countless fun activities. Let’s take a small step towards restoring a balance between online and offline!
Rural Odyssey, in collaboration with Digital Defynd and Nirogam, brings you an unforgettable digital detoxification retreat to a Himalayan village named Alchauna, near Bhimtal. The homestay is a 100-year-old Bungalow, which is a part of an exquisite 100-acre estate, set amidst the lush green mountains. With Kalsa river flowing down along with estate makes it a perfect place to enjoy both the mountains tops and the valley. It’s one of those perfect places where you can rejuvenate yourself near natural clear water pools, gaze at majestic mountains, get lost in forests, visit a rose farm, or play with village kids, while getting a taste of timeless village life in lower Kumaon hills.
- Experience Sharing: We will sit with the whole group and talk about some experiences of our lives with each other to inspire, get inspired and spread some positive vibes.
- Team Building Activities: Let’s have some more activities that will help us in knowing each other in the beginning.
- Open Air Cooking: We will cook our lunch together while learning some secret pahadi recipes from our hosts.
- Colonial Stay: The homestays are a part of a 100-acre old colonial bungalow. The face of the bungalow is completely plastered with stone as are all the exterior walls, which create a magnificent set of nature around. All the rooms are well-crafted and designed to make your stay a memorable one.
- Bee Keeping: Observe the sophisticated structure of bee civilization. From the guards at the hive entry to the nurses tending the little, to the “energetic females” and “lazy males,” to the glaring elusive queen, each bee has a place inside this complex community. Not to mention that you will taste the freshest honey from the hive.
- Organic Farming: Experience the fine art of organic farming; know why the world should move to this and its other benefits. We encourage you to get your hands dirty and learn a skill or two for your terrace garden.
- Nature Walk: Walk the prosperous pine and oak forests, experience the rich varieties of wildflowers & plants along with eye-catching landscape. If we are lucky and quiet, we may even happen to see some rare birds and lots of nests. We will also visit some hidden crystal clear water pools.
- Village Walk: Walk through the village, interact with the locals, learn and understand the “pahaadi” lifestyle. Look for the local inventions. Sometimes it’s our farmers in the villages who design something interesting to make their day to day life little easy.
- Traditional Folklore and Trek: Listen to the traditional folklore of Karkotak, a snake. Also, hike to the hilltop to the Karkotak temple listening to some amazing folklores. Not to mention that view of Bhimtaal is just spectacular from Karkotak peak.
Day 0 (March 3)
We will assemble at Anand Vihar ISBT or New Delhi Railway Station in Delhi (subject to the availability of train ticket) in the night and begin our journey towards Haldwani/ Kathgodam.
Day 1 (March 4)
We will reach at Haldwani/Kathgodam at 5 am on Saturday morning and start our journey to the final destination in a traveler van. This 90 minutes long journey goes through the picturesque villages of the lower Himalayas crossing the mesmerizing Bhimtal. We will be welcomed by our hospitable hosts and owners of this fantastic colonial estate at an altitude of 1500 m, surrounded by beautiful landscape. To revitalize you, we have arranged for twin sharing rooms with clean, fresh linen and duvets. All the rooms are comfortable and quiet with beautiful views. After freshening up, we will start the day with introductions over breakfast. We have a fun way of introducing ourselves to each other. You will also be encouraged to share some of the best experiences of your life that will help fellow guests to know you better. Also, isn’t it a good way to start the trip with such positive energy? Later, we will walk around the nearby farms to understand and observe the traditional farming techniques of the local communities, and how people have hooked on to them to grow in abundance without the use of any chemicals. From there we will continue our walk in the lap of nature along the river while exploring some secret pristine swimming spots. Today, we have arranged an open air cooking for you. We will cook our lunch together while learning some secret pahadi recipes from our hosts. After the lunch, it's time to go for a hands-on experience with the bee-keeping art. Get your hands at the beehive, understand their life cycle, learn how to care for bees, benefits of honey and making of some excellent products from wax and honey. Get a memorable experience to “suit up” in a beekeeping suit, and to get as up close and intimate with the bees. In the evening, we will go for a walk in the village and experience a glimpse of old Kumaoni lifestyle. Afterward, we will settle around a bonfire with some games, conversations, music and good food. Depending on everyone's interest, we will also listen to an interesting story of our hosts’ family chain.
Day 2 (March 5)
We will spend the day leisurely with nature and hike to the top of Karkotak peak with packed lunch, roughly 4 Km. Karkotak is a small peak at an altitude of 1800 m with a small temple on the top. Locals believe, Karkotak is a snake mentioned in “Purana” and “Mahabharata” and protects the village from natural disasters. There’s more to the story which we will listen when we are at the top. The trail goes through the rich forests of pine and oak trees, with the river in the distance and few villages to soothe our eyes. Locals use this path to get the fodder for the livestock and to collect mud for floor plastering. En-route, we will observe and talk about the richness of our forests, their importance, threats faced by them and how they are managed by the Village Panchayats to maintain their abundance. After eating our packed lunch on the top, we will undertake some team building activities and some thought provoking discussions on natural living. We will descend via a different route. After tea and packing our bags, we will bid adieu to our fantastic hosts and depart to Haldwani.
Ex – Haldwani/Kathgodam – Rs. 4,900/- (Till Feb 5, 2017)
After Feb 5, 2017, regular tariff of 5500 INR is applicable.
[Note – Transportation from/to Delhi can be arranged in Uttarakhand Transport Corporation Volvo bus/ train (subject to availability) service at actual cost.]
- The group size will be limited to a maximum of 16 people: 14 participants + 2 facilitators and a minimum of 10 people: 9 participants + 1 facilitator.
- Don’t forget to pack good warm clothes with you. It’ll be mostly sunny during the day if it does not rain, but the weather will be cold after sunset.
- Though the temperature is expected to drop in the night, temperature inside the rooms will be pleasant.
Note: Please note that since this is a digital detoxification retreat, we will deposit your digital devices on Saturday morning and they will be returned to you on Sunday evening. However, if you want to contact your family or deal with any other urgency, you can ask for your phone.
- All travel from Delhi to Delhi if opted for the same. Otherwise, all travel from Haldwani to Haldwani
- Accommodation in simple and comfortable homestays on twin-sharing basis
- Four fresh meals and one packed lunch
- Expenses of guides during our stay in the village
- All the meals not listed in Inclusions i.e. during Volvo journey from/to Delhi and Traveler journey from/to Haldwani, will be at actuals.
- Any items/services which are personal in nature like toiletries, sun protection creams, chips, soft drinks, laundry, STD calls, etc
- Any extra expenses due to delays arising from bad weather and unforeseen circumstances.
- Any medical expenses
- Any other expenses of any nature not included in the INCLUSIONS section